The Chieftain

The Chieftain

Superchief’s March Toward Success

The+marching+band%27s+seniors+
The marching band's seniors

The marching band's seniors

The marching band's seniors

Paolo Fernandez, Reporter

The Superchief’s Marching Band capped off their 2017 season with a very successful performance at Rutgers Stadium with their show entitled “War Of The Worlds” on October 28th.  

Looking back to the beginning weeks of band, Band Director. Christopher Sumner wasn’t so sure if his band was going to be able to pull the performance off, but after all of their hard work he praised his students calling the season a complete success.

Dr. Sumner, affectionately called “Doc” considers 5 factors when putting together a show:

“The music always comes first, then I think about the difficulty level, whether or not the show is entertaining, if it has a high enough integrity for the judges, and if I like it,” Doc stated.

While putting together this year’s show, Doc and the rest of the directors fell in love with the sound of “War Of The Worlds” and picked it despite the difficulty level of the show.

“When we were putting together the show we loved the music It just so happened it was hard.” Doc said.

The show was demanding both physically and technically. The upperclassmen even noticed the change in the level of music.

Senior Tahj Scrimmager, member of the drumline says “The music was very rudimental. Everything had to be precise. We had to take into account when to play, what hand to play with and how to stay in sync with the rest of the drumline.”

While the learning curve was great, Doc believes the band stuck with it and showed an immense amount of growth and progress.

“Hard work, determination, commitment, and discipline are all things we instill on day one,” said Doc.

In their last competition, the Super Chiefs came in 7th in a contest of 8, in other words second to last. However, Doc was never concerned about where they placed.

“I don’t judge success based on awards, but on a successful performance.

— Dr. Sumner

In Doc’s eyes their final performance at Rutgers was the band’s best and overall was the biggest achievement of the whole season. Music being an art form there is so much more to performing than hitting the right notes.

“You can play the music perfectly, the difference is the emotional aspect… it’s not something you can put your finger on but something you feel, and that’s what I think we did differently compared to all our performances,” said Doc.