Student Workers Struggle Financially During Quarantine

Photo Credit: Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash

March 2020 was the month where all of our lives were greatly affected because of a pandemic that originated from China during 2019. But no one expected it to be a world-wide problem especially because everyone was focused on the holidays like Christmas and the New Year. The year 2020 has been giving us different kinds of world problems including the wildfires in Australia, the Corona Virus, killer hornets in the US, and our struggle to beat racism.

Our lives were never the same after these past few months and of course, every single one of us was greatly affected by these problems, including students who are trying to be financially independent, providing an income for themselves and for their families. There are different kinds of dangers that these people face every day at work, getting their hands touched by other people, serving food or drinks, exchanging money. Almost every single student prefers to work at a fast-food restaurant rather than an office job. These students also talk to random people that come and go. And one of those people might be affected by the virus without them knowing. After their shift is over, they might carry a disease which can be passed to their family members. All of them can be infected even if they were staying home all day. Going out is still dangerous especially working during this time.

If there are really no choices and a student still has to work to provide, they should be aware of their surroundings; wash their hands as often as possible. Use a mask when working and talking to people. Avoid social interactions like handshakes, hugs and other forms of physical greetings.

During this time, people should be staying at their home but some students are one of the providers for their family. The money they get working goes to their family budget. They weren’t forced to work they just want to help their family to get through this.

We have to keep in mind the dangers, the risk that we are taking once we step out of our doors. You can only go out if you’re getting something valuable, important. And don’t forget to wear a mask, gloves and follow the social distancing rule. After that, quickly disinfect your body, wash your hands and take a shower if possible. You might not know that you’ve interacted with someone who has the virus. It’s better to be safe than sorry.