Student Athletes Committing To College

When a student-athlete officially commits to attend a Division I or II college, he or she signs a National Letter of Intent, agreeing to attend that school for one or more academic years. A National Letter of Intent is signed by a college bound student athlete agreeing to attend a Division I or II college for one or more academic years. What college are you committing to?” I am committing to The University of New Haven in West Haven, Connecticut,” said by A varsity high school football player at Piscataway High School. 

NCAA Divisions I and II schools provide more than $2.9 billion in athletics scholarships annually to more than 150,000 student-athletes. Division III schools do not offer athletics scholarships.Only about two-percent of high school athletes are awarded athletics scholarships to compete in college. What type of scholarship are you trying to have to get into New Haven University? “I am going to New Haven University on a football scholarship”, as told by a varsity high school football player at Piscataway High School. 

Scholarships can really benefit these athletes into helping them pursue what they want to do for their future. How can you benefit from your scholarship for football? “ This scholarship is helping me to be in the college that I’m trying to get into and at the college that I’m going to, they would let me play the position that I want to play for football which is a defensive tackle” explained by The high school football player.

Full scholarships cover tuition and fees, room, board and course-related books. Most student-athletes who receive athletics scholarships receive an amount covering a portion of these costs which helps them pursue what major they’re pursuing. What major are you going to do in college? “I am planning on majoring in business finance,” said the high school football player from Piscataway High School.

When people commit to colleges, they have a reason to commit to that college. Why did you choose New Haven University? I am interested in going to this college because I want to experience life on my own like going to parties, doing school work, and playing football,” as told by the football player. 

If a school plans to reduce or not renew a student-athlete’s aid, the school must notify the student athlete in writing by July 1 and provide an opportunity to appeal. In most cases, coaches decide who receives a scholarship, the scholarship amount and whether it will be renewed. What’s your backup college plan if New Haven University doesn’t work out? “I would plan on going to Monmouth University mainly because I still want to play football and major in business finance,” explained by the student athlete.

In most cases a student athlete’s decision on going to the school depends on what the school offers to them. So what does New Haven University have to offer to you? New Haven University has a great reputation for their acceptance rate and their graduation rate is above fifty percent I think,” said the football player.