PHS Key Club Attends DECON Conference

Key Club attends DECON Conference

Key Club attends DECON Conference

A group of 9 members from Piscataway High School Key Club attended the NJ District of Key Club District Education Conference (DECON) in Somerset New Jersey in early April. This was the first in person training and education conference held since 2019. PHS has had a Key Club since 1985. Club members provide community service to their homes, schools and community through the core values of caring, inclusiveness, character building and leadership. The club held the honor of host club for the event and was responsible for opening and closing the conference by raising and retiring the colors, providing stage assistance during the Saturday night recognition session and by decorating the venue in support of the theme, “Walking the Red Carpet of Service”.

According to junior student, Nia Sharma, who is also the Vice President Elect of the club, “Little did I know what a wonderful trip it would turn out to be. It is a great opportunity to learn about the plethora of leadership opportunities in the district and international (levels). Not only are you exposed to the great leadership opportunities, but you have a chance to connect with other key clubs in NJ and work on your networking skills. You also meet amazing people who are just as passionate about service as you are.”

Senior Anika Melkote and junior Aparna Rajkumar show off their first place trophies!

The club received awards for Early Bird Dues and Club Growth. Club Secretary Connor Dunham (2023) and Vice President Dylan Abry (2022) received Distinguished Officer recognition. Senior Anika Melkote and junior Aparna Rajkumar won first place in the Talent Show for their vocal duet “I Feel Pretty/Unpretty” from Glee. The club received special commendation for their outstanding work as the host club. Key Club is an international, student-led organization that provides its members with opportunities to provide service, build character and develop leadership. The Key Club faculty advisor is Laura Leibowitz and Kiwanis Advisor is Mitch Fuhr. The Piscataway High School Key Club is sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Franklin-Somerset.