The Student News Site of Piscataway High School

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

Chiefs for Christ Club Gives Back to the Community with Holiday Toy Drive

Chiefs for Christ partners with aid organization to brighten the holiday season for children in need

The holiday season is one not only of getting, but especially of giving! The PHS club Chiefs for Christ made sure to keep this in mind with their Christmas Toy Drive they ran this past Monday. 

Chiefs for Christ is a club that meets every other Wednesday in room 181, with the sole purpose of fellowship. Mike Awad, the advisor of the club, explained the steps that are taken during this event, “Usually we want to spread the word out to the school to make it an event everyone can participate in.” Colorful flyers were seen all around the school, encouraging students to bring in toys, and drop them off in either main office. 

“After the toys are brought in, we collect the toys and purchase the cardboard that can be folded, and we fold these into shoe boxes,” Awad said.  “From there, we put the toys in and along with that we leave a little note to wish them a Merry Christmas. [The boxes] are then dropped off to different locations [around the world].” 

The organization that Chiefs for Christ members worked with is called Samaritan’s Purse. This humanitarian aid organization allows people to help those in physical need as an important part of its Christian missionary work. According to their website, “Since 1993, more than 209 million children in more than 170 countries and territories have received an Operation Christmas Child shoebox. The project delivers not only the joy of what, for many kids, is their first gift ever, but also gives them a tangible expression of God’s love.”

Not only is this a great cause, it also inspires thousands of people to work together for the greater good of the world. This event gives parents the opportunity of a teaching moment for their kids, but also reminds adults to give back to their community. This occasion is one that is fit for all ages. Mr. Awad also points out that it’s a great feeling “just knowing that you’re making a difference in somebody’s life.” 

Along with the organization’s goal, the club also has wishes when it comes to the outcome of this event. Mr. Awad and the club’s goal “is to show people how to give back and show God’s love through doing volunteer work, whether it’s packing a toy, packing a box, or writing a note” 

Like Chiefs for Christ has proved, giving back can be much more rewarding than to receive. During this upcoming holiday season, look out for ways to aid those who need help, whether it be alongside Chiefs for Christ or around the community! 

View Comments (2)