The Student News Site of Piscataway High School

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

ICCA Volleyball Tournament is a Smashing Success

Team lead by Savian Adeva takes home the pizza prize!

The PHS ICCA (International Club of Cultural Arts) club held a volleyball tournament on November 1st, 2023. The main idea of the club is to spread cultural aspects to other students at PHS. The event allowed students to compete against each other in a game of volleyball in the Patton building gym. The prize of winning this tournament was a pizza party for the winning team. Teams of 6-8 were allowed to compete in this tournament. A team starring Savian Adeva won the tournament.

Photo courtesy of LORS yearbook staff photographer

The school thought the event was very successful in that it brought students together. The Club advisor, Amarfi Herrera, agrees with this idea.

“We had a big turnout and all the students, they seemed very happy and excited to be there and eager to play,” Herrera said. “Not only they got an opportunity to have their friends play with them but also they got to meet new students that they had never seen before on the spot as well.”

Students who participated in the event also thought the event was really exciting.

“I think it was a really successful event as a whole,” Piscataway freshman Armaan Puar said. “It seemed kind of all over the place but yeah it was a lot of fun.”

A spectator of the tournament, PHS ninth grader Kai Harrell, believed that the tournament introduced many students to the game of volleyball.

“It was very interesting,” Harrell said. “And I was happy to see that people were trying out the new volleyball culture.”

Ultimately, the ICCA tournament turned out to be a way for students to enjoy themselves and show a different side of them that they usually don’t get a chance to share in school.

“It doesn’t matter if they’re shy or not, you know, they always find a way to have some fun,” Herrera said. “And also show their talents that we don’t even know they have.”

View Comments (1)