The Student News Site of Piscataway High School

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

New Badminton Club Arrives at PHS

No experience required, just a willingness to learn the sport, make new friends, and have fun!
PHS Badminton Club Logo

You’ll never know what you are capable of until you take that first step, and just go for it’ – Natasha Hastings, American track and field sprinter.

Piscataway High School offers many clubs, which are a great way for students to participate in activities they enjoy, learn new skills, and meet new people.  Badminton Club is a sports club under the guidance of Mrs. Fowler.  Anika Raj founded the PHS Badminton Club, which was co-founded by senior Niyati Gandhi.  Chris Wu is the current president, and Devak Patel is the vice president.

“No skills are required, you can come and have fun with friends, develop better badminton skills and participate in tournaments if you like,” club advisor Mrs. Fowler said at the first meeting of the Badminton Club.

The sport of badminton was created in British India in the late 19th century, and is played by hitting a small projectile, called a shuttlecock, across a small net.  The game can be played by two or four people and requires stamina, skill, and speed.

Vlad Vasnetsov on Pexels

Badminton Club helps students to discover their hidden talents in playing badminton.  For example, a junior club member who won the third place in the singles matches in last year’s tournaments said that she played badminton with her friends and managed to win the third place in the tournament even though she had no professional experience.

“It’s with friends and family and it is so encouraging to others, playing it as a game is also important to play with others,” she stated.

Most students enjoy being in clubs because they give them an opportunity to spend time with their friends and do activities they find fun and interesting.  Joining a badminton club can be a great way to meet other students with similar interests. You can enjoy your interest with other people and can learn more skills about it by working with them.

A senior said that “competing with my friends, and beating them[in tournaments]” when asked what his best memory of badminton was.

An excellent way to gain leadership experience is to join the badminton club.  Everyone has the opportunity to be a match umpire as the final decision is made by the umpire.  This is a great way to show that you know how to take responsibility.  Almost everyone in the badminton club will have a chance to take the lead.  Juniors and sophomores can apply for secretary.  Juniors can also apply for the co-captain position, and freshmen and sophomores can volunteer for the umpire crew.

Along with skill sets and comfort, many members of the club report a positive and comfortable environment where they develop bonds and feel free to express their opinions.

A senior stated, “I joined because I wanted to play a sport and badminton grabbed my attention, I wanted to try, to find out if I liked it.”

Leo Zhao on Pixels

Colleges and employers also like to see students who have participated in extracurricular activities such as clubs because it gives them a better understanding of a student’s interests and shows that the student likes to connect and work with other people.  So this will be a great opportunity for those interested in playing badminton!

If you are interested in joining the club, you must complete the membership form in the badminton group in Schoology.  Also, do your best to attend at least 80% of the meetings. From November 6th to March there will be practice on Mondays from 2-3pm at Patton Gym.

For even more information on this, you can reach out to Mrs. Fowler (Room 129), or any of the club members!

View Comments (2)