The Student News Site of Piscataway High School

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

PHS Drama Club Puts its Own Unique Twist on Shakespeare’s Macbeth

PHS Drama Club performs “The Scottish Play” this week at the PHS PAC
Arjun Koura

To end 2023, the PHS Drama Club is introducing the classic Shakespearean play, Macbeth, with its own creative and unique interpretation. The play will be performed at the PAC on Thursday, November 30th; Friday, December 1st; and Saturday, December 2nd.  All performances begin at 7 PM. The tickets are $12 for adults, $10 for seniors and $8 for students. You can buy your tickets on the website pwaydramaclub.ludus.com.

In the heart of Scotland, amidst the clash of armies and the whispers of prophecy, a tale of ambition unfolds. A Scottish general known as Macbeth was told by three witches he would be the future king. The witches’ prophecy fueled his paranoia and drove him deeper into the abyss of tyranny. William Shakespeare’s play Macbeth is a metaphor for greed devouring you as you get a taste of power, and losing morals as you get higher in status and wealth.

The director of the performance, Mr Erik Hall, said that he knew that putting on a Shakespearian play would be difficult, but he also knew that the PHS Drama Club cast and crew would be up to it.

Mr. Hall gives some last minute feedback

“[A] Shakespeare [play] is a classic theater play that all students should be exposed to at some point in their lives as young actors and students, Hall said.  “Multiple roles gave us the opportunity to cast many students and that allows casting to be as diverse as the students who attend Pway…. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that our talent could handle such a challenging piece.”

This production also put its own unique twist on the story, as it offers music, dancing, and costumes that are not present in a traditional production of the play.

“This play has something for everybody. Terrific acting sure, but epic sword fights [too],” Hall said. “We have added dances and singing to the show. We have set the play in the early dark ages giving a more “Viking” look, so the pageantry of the costumes, sets, and lighting are remarkable. But really everyone should see the dedicated and talented students (cast and crew) because they are truly outstanding.”  One of the witches in the play, Sydney, added, “There’s going to be lots of fight choreography. There’s gonna be….Norse folk songs, war dances, and witch stuff.  It is going to be amazing!”

Arjun Koura

Memorizing lines in a play can be difficult, especially when those lines were written 400 years ago, but some of the actors said that it wasn’t as hard as they expected.

“Well I don’t have as many spoken lines so it wasn’t that hard,” Sydney said. “It was just words to memorize. So basically it wasn’t that hard for me but I feel for [the main characters] Macbeth and Macduff, who have a lot to memorize.”

Although putting the production together required a lot of work and effort, the cast members also described how exciting it was putting together a play that was so action-packed.

“I loved getting costumes for the first time,” Sydney said.  “It was really exciting seeing everybody in their armor and the weapons. The weapons are so cool! There’s lots of fighting with not just swords, there are axes, spears, hammers, clubs, there’s a lot!”

Arjun Koura

Ultimately, putting together the play was a positive and memorable experience for everyone involved.

Lighting crew member and PHS Sophomore Ankreesha Bajpayi said, “Working with the cast and crew was nice because I got to work with a lot of cool people. We were all coordinated and kind to each other. Plus it was really fun to watch all the rehearsals. After I watched the rehearsals multiple times I began to understand the emotions of the actors and actresses. Everyone loved working on the play because [of how well] it came together!”

Matt Riches on Unsplash
View Comments (2)