The Student News Site of Piscataway High School

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

PHS Senior Sareena Naganand Founds ‘The Sentenia’, a New Literary Magazine for the PHS Community

The Sentenia provides a creative outlet for PHS student writers
Sareena Naganand
The cover to the first issue of The Sentenia

Earlier this year, Piscataway senior Sareena Naganand, decided to begin The Sentenia, a literary magazine for and by Piscataway High School students. The club that produces the magazine meets every second Monday in D243 to create work for the magazine, which includes poetry, short stories, creative nonfiction, fiction and artwork ranging from digital to traditional art pieces. The club is assisted by the club advisor, English teacher Mr. Lojko.

Previously, Piscataway High School had a Writer’s Guild program that began in 2018 and concluded in 2023. Judith Kristen, published author and the program’s mentor, worked with the students to create writing pieces and artwork. The platform served as a way for students to share their works, and they collaborated to produce five published books. Past Guild members expressed remorse upon its culmination, saying that it was a great opportunity for Piscataway students to have their voices out there.

Naganand explained that The PHS Writers Guild was the inspiration for The Sentenia, which means “sentiments” in Latin, and that she thought it was important that PHS students continue to have an outlet for student creativity.

“Inspired by the writer’s guild program, the literary magazine will give PHS students an opportunity to showcase their creative work and create a community of creative thinkers,” Naganand said.

PHS Senior Sareena Naganand, founder of the Sentenia (Sareena Naganand)

Creative writing teacher, Ms. Collins, who is also a published author, expressed excitement that Naganand was establishing the creative writing magazine.

“Creative writing allows students to express themselves and view the world we live in through the beauty of their own words,” Collins said. “Creative writing is a method by which people have a chance to express their imagination— especially since this skill is something we all need to find within ourselves.”

Some benefits that students can gain from their experiences with The Sentenia are experience, improved writing and coordination skills, building a good work ethic, and communication in different settings. A creative outlet can also boost one’s credibility on a college application, and can add to one’s achievements with collaborations and connections.

Currently, The Sentenia is finishing its first issue of the year, which should be released by the end of the month, so readers can look forward to that in the nearby future!

The club is open to all Piscataway High School students. Please contact Mr. Lojko in D243 for more information.