The Student News Site of Piscataway High School

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

Studying the Past, Shaping the Future: The Rho Kappa Honor Society Experience

Adding to the plethora of Honor Societies available to PHS students, Rho Kappa was recently established by President Alexandra Sinckler, along with her peers, as well as advisor and history teacher, Mr. Wernlund. All students who hope to pursue social studies-related topics in the future, or simply enjoy learning about history, are welcome to apply to the honor society in the spring.

Students who have a passion for social studies and history are offered a myriad of opportunities through the Rho Kappa Honor Society. Speakers such as Jessica Ronan-Frisch, the Program Manager at the Center for Youth Voter Participation, and Paul Sinckler, a criminal justice professor at Saint Peter’s University. These speakers offer students an opportunity to learn more about higher education and professions regarding history and social studies, while also providing them with connections to people who are experienced in these fields.

It is commonly assumed that there are a lack of job opportunities in social studies fields; however, Rho Kappa effectively introduces students to the many possibilities for their futures. Social studies focused students get a look at the options they have for their future by joining the honor society, as well as earning a chance to build their resume for college applications.

Rho Kappa helps students who excel in history as well as students who struggle with social studies. The after-school tutoring program (also known as H.A.P or homework assistance program) has members of certain honor societies, including Rho Kappa, come in to tutor students who need help with their homework in History, Science, English, Math, and World Language Classes. Not only can this program help students who need extra guidance in their classes, but also allows students to help their peers in meaningful ways.

All honor societies demonstrate excellence and many other appealing traits that colleges search for in students. Adding a membership to the Rho Kappa Honor Society to your college application can highlight your capabilities and interests to admissions officers. This can be an incredible advantage, as you are able to display your passions and gain community service hours as well as experiences that help you become a better member of your community.