The Student News Site of Piscataway High School

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

Beloved PHS History Teacher Lisa Sudfield to Retire After 32 years of Teaching

Ms. Sudfiend
Ms. Sudfield
Ms. Sudfiend

After the completion of the 2023-24 school year, Piscataway High School history teacher Ms. Sudfield will retire from teaching. Over the course of her 32 year career (all of which was here at Piscataway High School) she was able to positively affect thousands of students as both a teacher and a mentor.

Ms. Sudfield attended both Bishop Kearney and Highland high school. After high school, she majored in History at Rutgers University. Shortly after her time at Rutgers University, Ms. Sudfield student taught at Piscataway High School in 1991 and then officially became a history teacher in 1992.

When I asked her about starting out as a teacher, she described how she wasn’t initially sure if she wanted to teach history or chemistry at Piscataway High School.

“I love history, but I almost became a science teacher,” said Ms. Sudfield. “I waived back between the idea of becoming a history or chemistry teacher, but I ultimately picked history because I loved it more.”

When asked about her favorite part of teaching, Ms. Sudfield said that she loves seeing her students grow from the beginning of the school year to the end.

“I like when students enter my class knowing nothing about history and then finishing my class knowing something,” said Ms. Sudfield. “Learning history is personal and important for our students.”

After retiring from Piscataway High School, Ms. Sudfield booked a cruise vacation this September to celebrate her hard work as a history teacher, but she is also eager to engage in New Jersey politics.

“Things are messed up in this world and I don’t want to see my students suffer in the real world after high school,” said Ms. Sudfield. “I’m definitely getting involved in politics in the state of New Jersey. I have to be part of the solution instead of contributing to the problems.”

The transition from a high school teacher to retirement and possibly politics can be challenging, but rewarding at the same time. However, Ms. Sudfield will always remember her time at Piscataway High School.

“I will definitely miss my students and colleagues at Piscataway High School,” said Ms. Sudfield.

View Comments (1)