The Student News Site of Piscataway High School

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

Girl Scouts Welcome Diversity To Community

Photo Essay: Girl Scouts host annual “World Thinking Day” at PHS
Nyasa Bryson
Girl Scouts Host “World Thinking Day” at PHS

The sun sets and the moon rises on Piscataway High School. The clock strikes 6 and just like that cars start to pull up to the Patton Parking lot of PHS. Young girl scouts jump out of their cars with poster board in hand and other older girl scouts jump out of their own cars with markers in hand.  Soon after more and more girl scouts begin to arrive and all of them representing different communities from Italy and Germany to Nigeria and Japan. Starting in 1926 after the 4th World Conference of Girl Guides and Scouts, World Thinking Day has been a major event for many communities across the World. World Thinking Day represents the coming together of so many different cultures and the unity of girls across the world. In our Middlesex county our World Thinking Day is held every year on February 23 in the Patton Cafeteria at Piscataway High School. This is a huge night of culture for our very diverse town of Piscataway as it allows many different people to learn about many different cultures.

“In Piscataway we have huge amounts of diversity,” said photographer of this story Ayana Bryson, “Everyone here is welcome, but we rarely learn about cultures different from our own, which is what makes World Thinking Day so special.”

All photos and captions by Nyasa Bryson