The Student News Site of Piscataway High School

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

Piscataway JV Softball Team Loses a Hard-Fought Game Against Edison

PHS softball team plays Edison

On April 26th, the PHS JV softball team suffered a tough loss against Edison at green acres with a score of 15-7. The 5 inning match was neck and neck towards the beginning of the game, with both teams equally matched on both offense and defense. The team stepped up their game top of the 2nd inning with their pitcher, Kharis Calloway, finding their groove and center fielder Bria Weems catching a momentum shifting pop up which shut down Edison’s offense. However, at the bottom of the 2nd and 3rd innings, the teams offense couldn’t seem to find its footing like before, resulting in the, falling too far behind to catch up.

PHS softball team plays Edison (Arjun Koura)

Failing to a acrew many points during the middle of the game definitely felt like the teams biggest weakness, especially to the players batting.

“I need to work on my hitting.” Calloway said.

After falling behind in the middle of the game, the team struggled to regain the momentum and maintain the defense they had in the beginning of the game.

“I had some trouble with grounders.” Weems said. “I fumbled that one ball because it rolled up my wrist. That was my biggest thing this game.”

Even after the team managed to put more points in the board towards the end of the game, the team’s morale wasn’t as high as it was in the beginning, leading to frustration that held the team back.

“I think I got a little upset at that last play.” Said Leah, a shortstop. “I struggled to keep my nerves calm towards the end.”

Yet, despite a tough loss in one of the last games in the season, the team seemed to bounce back from the defeat, and eager to improve for the next game.

“Today’s game could’ve been better. We made a few mistakes, but we live and we learn from them.” Leah said. “Overall, I think the girls did their best, and that’s all I can ask from them.”

The softball season may have ended on a low note, but for many on the team, they aren’t taking this loss lying down, using this loss to improve themselves for the next season.

“I go to the batting cages a lot to practice my form.” Freshman shortstop Ariana said. “I’m definitely going to continue playing softball in the future.”