The Student News Site of Piscataway High School

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

The Chieftain

Piscataway High School Pep Rally Raises School Spirit and Honors Athletes

PHS Pep Rally: a culmination of hard work by PHS students and athletes and fun event where all students can gather together.

Held in the month of October, the pep rally at Piscataway High school is a fun way to honor athletics, showcase the hard work of students, and host fun games and performances. Ever since it was first introduced in 2016, the Pep Rally has become a big event that allows both students and teachers at PHS to express their school spirit.

On October 11th, 2023, Piscataway High School had their annual pep rally which began with all of the fall athletic teams running across the football field to their favorite tunes while students cheered for them. This was followed up with performances by the school marching band and dance teams. Finally, as the event came to a close there was a pieing of the principal, Mr. Baldassano, the student government association advisor, Mr. Horan, and several other SGA officers as well.

Mr. Horan who was a student council advisor when the event first began has been helping hold the event every year ever since to show pride and spirit at PHS. Now as advisor for the student government association, Mr. Horan ensures that the pep rally is adequately prepared for every year by beginning planning in the spring.

“We start [planning for the pep rally] in the spring. I have a specific timeline that we use every year, but for the last two years we’ve really been happy because the students in SGA have been able to take more of a leadership role on it. They really plan everything when it comes to a loose idea of what the script should be, voting on the games, ideas for decorating. They do so much work!” said Horan.

When asked about future plans for the pep rally Mr. Horan also added how he’s wanted to do a spring pep rally for a while as well though has never been able to until now. He notes how this new pep rally will be the same as the one PHS students have always enjoyed in the fall but will honor spring and winter athletes as well.

“We do want to do a spring pep rally, which would honor our winter and spring athletes in the same way, and make that a yearly tradition. It would be a similar format, hopefully we would have time for battle of classes and maybe more games.” said Horan “I also like the non-athletic and non-competitive stuff in a pep rally too where it’s just a carnival or circus. I got hit in the face with a pie…it was funny and so in the moment!” laughed Horan.

When asking some students who attended the pep rally whether they preferred the pep rally this year or the one last year. There were often mixed opinions on how students felt about this year’s pep rally. One student said that the pep rally was better last year, while another student said the pep rally was better this year. Despite mixed opinions the pep rally represents a fun event that increases school spirit by bringing together students, teachers, and faculty members of Piscataway High School to showcase their school spirit!